Employment – Range of Costs
@Cornwall Law LLP do not offer legal aid in this area of work.
The cost of each case will depend on the amount of work required.
The charge rate for work relating to employment law is £200.00 per hour plus VAT. All letters written (including emails) and telephone calls made and received are charged at £20.00 per item plus VAT whilst all letters received (including emails) are charged at £10.00 per item plus VAT.
As an approximate guide, we estimate our costs would be as follows but we will advise you in respect of your particular case at the start of the matter and we will provide updates as the matter progresses.
Pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal:-
Simple case £ 2,000.00(excluding VAT)
Medium complexity case £ 5,000.00 (excluding VAT)
High complexity case £10,000.00 (excluding VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:-
· If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim.
· Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person.
· Making or defending a costs application.
· Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties).
· The number of witnesses and documents.
· If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim eg. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer.
· Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £ 750.00 per day (excluding VAT). Generally, we would allow 2 days depending on the complexity of your case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Court fees, or travelling expenses. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel’s fees estimated between £ 750.00-£1,000.00 (excluding VAT) per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending the Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
Travelling expenses are charged at 45p per mile plus VAT charged at the national rate, currently 20%.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
· Taking your initial instructions, reviewing papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change).
· Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached.
· Preparing a claim or response.
· Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party.
· Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process.
· Preparing or considering a schedule of loss.
· Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing.
· Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents.
· Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses.
· Preparing bundle of documents.
· Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements.
· Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list.
· Preparation and attend at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel.
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of the above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 4-6 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 26 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.